This months patreon members

Special thanks to Hipployta... Something... Mani_C... Emerald Mimi... onepiece... Isabella Lee... Branden Tomaino... Fafaknew... Elmera Magdaloyo... hope live

Chapter 31: The Broken Dream of Nobility

 



Chapter 31: The Broken Dream of Nobility


“A gentleman must live with integrity, so how could I harbor such dark thoughts?” He spoke as if deeply insulted, using this opportunity to express his feelings: “If Miss Chang does not trust me, then today I will break off my engagement! After all, in my heart, there has always been only Miss Chang. What meaning is there in spending a lifetime with someone I do not love—"


As he said this, his voice suddenly halted, and his expression became awkward, as if realizing too late that he had let slip his true feelings.


“Ugh!”


A sound of uncontrollable retching broke the moment, and Zhou Ding’s face froze as he looked at Xi'er.


Chang Suining calmly said, “She’s pregnant.”


Xi'er covered her mouth with one hand and supported her lower belly with the other, nodding shyly: “Yes, that’s right.”


Zhou Ding’s expression grew complicated: “...Congratulations.”


But... why did the atmosphere feel completely different from what he had imagined?


Thankfully, the girl in front of him responded to his words, preventing an awkward silence—


But her tone was far too straightforward: “You need not concern yourself with me. We are as different as the clouds and mud. My family would never agree.”


Xi'er hesitated, wanting to add—it's not just clouds and mud, it’s more like a heavenly being and a beast.


“...I, I know, I’m unworthy of Miss Chang,” Zhou Ding’s face turned red, but he insisted, “That’s why I have never expressed my feelings before... but one day, I will rise to prominence!”


Chang Suining: “...”


More like you’ll lose your head.


“I know that General Chang will not agree easily... but I’ve made up my mind. In this world, true love is hard to come by. No matter what, I shouldn’t give up so easily.” Zhou Ding looked earnestly at the girl in front of him, vowing, “If we must be separated in life, then let us be buried together in death. If you don’t believe me, let the shining sun be my witness—"


As Chang Suining gazed at his fervent expression, she only felt as though he were a blood-sucking water ghost trying to ensnare her with sincerity.


She replied sincerely, “If someone must die, it should be you. I don’t want to die.”


Zhou Ding’s eye twitched: “?”


“I listen to my father,” the girl said in a matter-of-fact tone, “My family would never harm me.”


Zhou Ding was at a loss for words.


Did she have to be this clear-headed?


Was she allergic to all those dramatic, tragic love stories from operas and poems, where lovers sacrificed everything for love?


The blazing fire of passion had been doused with cold water again and again, leaving only a few struggling embers—


Just as Zhou Ding was about to say something more, the girl beat him to it: “The reason I brought up your engagement is to let you know that since you’re already engaged, it’s inappropriate for us to continue having contact.”


So... she came just to cut ties with him?


Zhou Ding stood there, stunned, feeling as if his dreams of marrying into wealth had just been shattered.


“So, you promised to repay me a hundredfold once you passed the exams. You can return the money now, and we’ll be even,” the girl said calmly.


Zhou Ding’s carefully maintained demeanor of deep affection crumbled completely.


Not only was she cutting ties, but she wanted him... to repay the money?!


He had said that, yes, but didn’t she also say... she didn’t expect anything in return?


But saying that out loud would damage his scholarly dignity...


His expression grew even more conflicted: “Miss Chang, you—”


“There’s no need to wait until you pass the exams to repay me, and you don’t need to return a hundredfold. Just the original amount will do,” the girl said considerately.


Her servant was even more considerate, handing over an item: “Here is the full record of the money my lady lent you, Lord Zhou. Please have a look.”


Zhou Ding: “...”


At this moment, his name should no longer be Zhou Ding—it should be Zhou ‘Struck by Lightning.’


The dream of nobility was shattered, and now he was suddenly saddled with a huge debt.


With no more to say, he took the account book from Xi'er. As he looked at the numbers, his face almost broke, but he could only say, “...I don’t have that much money on me right now, and I’m afraid I won’t be able to gather enough in the short term...”


Chang Suining generously replied, “That’s fine. I’ll give you three days.”


Seeing Zhou Ding still troubled, she added with some difficulty, “Don’t blame me for this. My father asked me to collect the debt. He just returned to the capital after a victory, and when he learned about this, he was furious, breaking several tables—"


Zhou Ding froze in place.


Her voice was pleasant, her words polite, but they filled him with fear, as if he too might become one of the broken tables.


The girl kindly reminded him, “If the money isn’t repaid, I’ll be fine, though I’ll have to endure some scolding. But the one who should be worried is you.”


“Miss, we should go. The young master seems to be waiting anxiously,” Xi'er interrupted.


Chang Suining looked outside the pavilion.


Zhou Ding followed her gaze, and saw a tall, handsome young man sitting by her carriage, wiping his sword with a cloth.


The blade shone as bright as snow, and as the youth polished it, the midday sunlight glinted off it, reflecting straight into Zhou Ding’s eyes.


Zhou Ding hurriedly stepped back.


Chang Suining said, “Farewell.”


Zhou Ding stammered, “Miss Chang, take care...”


Without another glance at him, Chang Suining left the pavilion with Xi'er.


Outside, Chang Sui'an sheathed his sword and hopped down from the carriage to lift the curtain for his sister.


After she boarded, Chang Sui'an mounted his horse, and the siblings rode away.


In the pavilion, Zhou Ding’s face was ashen.


“Ning Ning, honestly, we should have given him a good beating!” Chang Sui'an , riding beside the carriage, frowned and said, “Cowards like him are useless. A couple of punches and he would’ve confessed everything!”


“He’s willing to confess,” the girl yawned, her tone lazy, “I’m just afraid he doesn’t have anything worth confessing.”


Inside the carriage, Xi'er poured tea for Chang Suining.


“You said from the beginning that if the mastermind is a cunning snake, they wouldn’t show themselves or reveal their identity in such matters,” Xi'er said. “Zhou Ding was likely just a pawn, unaware of who he was dealing with.”


If they arrested Zhou Ding, they wouldn’t be able to extract anything useful, and it might alert the people in the shadows, backfiring on their plans.


“That’s true...” Chang Sui'an ’s brow remained furrowed. “But it’s still unfair to you, Ning Ning, having to deal with him with such courtesy, and now you even have to speak to him kindly. He’s getting off too easily!”


“Speak to him kindly?”


Chang Suining sipped her tea. “I don’t think I did.”


“But it’s still too easy on him...” Chang Sui'an grumbled, frustrated that he hadn’t gotten the chance to punch Zhou Ding. The thought of seeing Zhou Ding, who had nearly killed his sister, now acting like a toad lusting after a swan, only made him angrier. “Just being that close to my sister is already too much! Even if your spit landed on him while talking, that would have been a huge favor to him!”


Chang Suining nearly choked on her tea: “...”


She truly appreciated her brother’s efforts.


But no, she did not spray spit when she spoke.


This kind of insult seemed to be more harmful to her than the enemy.


Not wanting to hear any more of her brother’s outrageous comments, she cut him off and asked, “Have you arranged everything for the next step?”

  

VISIT OUR |🔴 Patreon Now
►►CLICK HERE FOR ADVANCE CHAPTERS◄◄


Next Chapter▶▶

Comments

Footnotes

Popular Posts